Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Week 2- Response 1

Synesthesia and Cymatics

First off, I'm sorry these are so late. Secondly, I have always thought these topics were super interesting.

I got my bottom lip tattooed a couple years ago. That night, my roommate asked me what the surface of the skin inside my mouth felt like when I ran my tongue over it. My response was, "chicken scratch". I was being absolutely serious. I couldn't come up with a different or better way to describe it. She had no idea what I was trying to get at, so I explained, "Think about someone writing the words chicken scratch with a mechanical pencil. That image is exactly what my mouth feels like."
To me, that was the perfect description, but most likely to anyone else, it made no sense. I'm not sure if this is pure synesthesia, but it seems close.

After these readings and videos, I got really inspired to do experiments.
Maybe I'll change my Freestyle; Maybe I wont.

Here are my ideas:


Synesthesia:
have everyone write down the color they see when told a certain word.

-most common of color from each word
-how to arrange the colors?
.pick words to tell a story?...then ask them to tell me what they saw in their heads?

They should be as specific in their color selection as possible
Flash the colors in order. 

What would be the difference between writing down colors with a black pen on a white sheet of paper and having a huge selection of crayons to pick from and color a spot on paper?

What words?
interesting to pick a really common word and see the differences?
OR
interesting (aesthetically) to have with precise words?

I like both.
Maybe we just do both and see what happens

What about just letters?
Then spell a word with the colors, play it and see what they write down?
A feeling or word?

A color for each letter of the alphabet. Put together the colors for the letters A-P-P-L-E
Play it back and see if the audience has feelings or images associated with apples

Do it with numbers and write out their phone numbers. 
See if  they have feelings of nostalgia? Or what emotion?

Would siblings have similar feelings from watching the same "color" phone number?

Cymatics-

 Record audio of an unknowing couple’s conversation. 
Separate the two voices.
One person can be represented by one substance or color or both. 
The other person, another. 
Play them separately and edit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment